Gender, Women’s, + Sexuality Studies offers a major, undergraduate certificate, and two minors, Gender and Women’s Studies and Critical Sexuality Studies.
If you’re interested in declaring one of our academic plans, fill out a declaration of major form and submit it to the Registrar’s Office through RT.
The Gender and Women’s Studies Major
The 36-credit BA in Gender and Women’s Studies provides a flexible yet coherent interdisciplinary program of study and can be easily combined with many other majors. Coursework in the major provides:
- a solid knowledge base of contemporary social and cultural theory
- critical thinking, reading, and communication skills
- opportunities to work with persons of diverse backgrounds and opinions
- leadership skills grounded in the principles of social change and social justice
The Certificate and the Minors
We offer a 24-credit undergraduate certificate and two 18-credit undergraduate minors, Critical Sexuality Studies and Gender and Women’s Studies.
We also offer a 12-credit post-baccalaureate certificate that can be combined with other graduate programs.
Gender, Women’s, + Sexuality Studies students are encouraged to complete internships where they can extend their classroom learning to the wider world. Because UMBC is centrally located between Baltimore and Washington DC, students have ready access to a variety of internships in government, non-profit, policy, and research institutions. Previous students have held internships at organizations such as:
- State of Maryland Governor’s Office
- Howard County Domestic Violence Center
- International Rescue Committee
- Feminist Majority Foundation
- Planned Parenthood
- National Organization for Women
- TurnAround, Inc